3.14.2006

Do the Wight thing

Noah Wight ... full-on character, St. Larry's alum, and owner of the RSN affiliate in Crested Butte ... barely survived a head-on ski collision with a tree last year, with the unfortunate result of being paralyzed and saddled with massive medical bills. He's a hell of a guy with a quick smile and a big heart, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't need any help from us.

Fortunately, we're not that smart.

Go to the Noah Wight fundraiser site, chip in a few bucks, and help a great guy through a tough spot.

Fundraiser for Noah

Now ... If you don't wear a ski helmet already, read what Noah has to say about his experience and think it over one more time.

>> For my family and I, the last year has been wrought with emotional highs and lows. Luckily the highs have far out weighted the lows starting with the base understanding that the other potential result of my accident would be death and culminating with the daily joy of watching my son Cooper grow up.

>>There have been many significant revelations in this process but the most poignant would be how truly fragile the human body can be. I spent the better part of my life chasing adventures and had definitely led with my head more times than anyone ought to but, ultimately, the accident that hit me the hardest was merely a pre-release of a binding on a slope I’ve skied a million times. I learned years ago, when my friend Matt died of a head injury sustained skiing, that a helmet can truly make all the difference.

>> In the course of my accident, I flattened the top of my helmet, smashing the foam, creating enough friction to melt and move the plastic cover. Between watching Matt die and the head injuries I saw rehabbing while I was in the hospital, I learned a little about the degrees of tragedy associated with severe injuries like mine. I learned that my injury was a tragedy unlike anything I could ever imagine but, ultimately, everything that made me, me was still intact. I could continue to run my business, I would see my son grow up and I would live a life with my wife.

>>This was not necessarily the case with a lot of the head injuries I saw and while, in many cases they could walk around like they always had, they would never be the people they had been. Trust me when I say that there is no cost either financially or to your sense of “wind in the hair” liberty that is worth this risk. Right now, no doubt about it, life can be hard but I live in one of the greatest places on earth and am surrounded by friends, family and an incredible community.

>> Thank you for your contribution, good luck in the raffle and please, wear a helmet.

>> Noah, Aline and Cooper Wight

No comments:

Post a Comment