10.19.2007

Conservation, community, and kindness

On a rainy Wednesday morning, I started research for a television proposal on outdoor companies and their efforts to make the world a better place.

As part of the process, I sent out dozens of emails to people around the country who are smarter, better connected, and far snappier dressers than I'll ever be.

The email was relatively vague, titled "Do Goodery," and sought ideas as well as referrals for people to contact in the outdoor world.

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised by the responses, but I was. The vast majority of input was regarding brands and their conversion to green manufacturing techniques (Company A is now using bamboo widgets... etc) and only a sparse few were regarding do-goodery outside company walls, llike 1% for the Planet, Big City Mountaineers, and Kona Biketown Africa.

Without a doubt, green manufacturing has become the biggest story in the outdoor industry. It's also the biggest story in just about any other industry i can think of. From education and government to entertainment and sports, green is the color of the day. Like a grown up in a preschool soccer game, it dominates the field.

I would never dare to doubt those making a sincere effort to green up their business practices. Change is hard, and somebody making even a token effort should be allowed to promote the shit out of it.

Climate change is a critical issue. I'm certainly not alone in recognizing that. Yet I also feel quite strongly that it's not the only issue out there worthy of our attention, our time, and our CSR budgets.

No comments:

Post a Comment