4.17.2008

Made in China

I sat down to sip my morning joe, wrapped in comfort in my Chinese-made fleece bathrobe, and checked the day's news on my trusty Macintosh, which was made in China.

From my comfy spot on our Chinese-made couch, I saw the morning sun glint off of the kids' bikes laying in the yard, both of which were made in China. Their Chinese-made helmets were also in the yard, glowing with sheen of last night's hard frost. Seeing the bike gear reminded me that I would need to throw some Chinese-made wax on our Chinese-made skis this weekend before storing them for the season.

I chuckled when I read the news about the Bush foreign policy aide that condemned the possible boycott of the Beijing opening ceremonies, referring to Tibet as "Nepal" at least a half dozen times in the interview. Silly old Bushies.

Two days ago, I met a few Tibetans on the front step of the Red Hen bakery in Middlesex. They had walked from Burlington the day before, camped there, and then were heading to the Capitol steps to add their own voice to the growing protest over Chinese occupation.

Living in a Chinese-made world, it seems disingenuous to choose this moment to support the Tibetan cause without examining our own contribution to their calamity.

On the other hand, maybe that's exactly what we should be doing.

LINK: 35 censored videos of Tibetan protests

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:06 PM

    I hope you know that the picture you show resembling something of a Kung-fu movie, is actually not of China, nor are the Police shown in are of Han Chinese. They look Nepal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. was your coffee at least fair trade?

    ReplyDelete