Happy Anniversary

Two years ago, today, I was diagnosed with stage 3b colon cancer. It wasn't a very good day.

As of this moment, however, I'm cancer free and considered to have a very strong chance of leaving this chapter in my rear view mirror, forever.

I have a lot of people to thank for my survival, including my surgery team at Dartmouth-Hitchcock, my oncologists at the Norris-Cotton cancer center, my chemotherapy nurses, and of course my incredible wife and family and friends.

But i also have to thank the cancer patients who went before me. Their experiences and their willingness to be a part of shared research enabled me to reap the benefits of the best medicine and treatment technologies available. Without them, I might not be here today.

Cancer is a savagely unpredictable disease, and they say that the best weapon against it is prevention. But I'd take that a step further. The best weapon is medical research.

Believe it or not, US funding for cancer research will likely decrease this year. While some groups like the Lance Armstrong Foundation are lobbying the federal government to increase their support of essential research, other groups are doing the research on their own.

Growing a moustache for 'Movember' is a fun and lighthearted way to kill a few weeks in the pre-ski season. The reality is that the dollars raised will be well spent on better, more aggressive, and more effective ways to battle prostate cancer. LINK

If you don't feel like donating money to my moustache .... don't sweat it ... there are thousands of other guys with moustaches and dozens of other exceptional cancer programs worth supporting as well. I've listed a few below.

Happy anniversary.

Sponsor my moustache
American Cancer Society
Susan G. Komen for the Cure
Lance Armstrong Foundation
Colon Cancer Alliance
Norris Cotton Cancer Center
Planet Cancer
First Descents Kayak Camp for kids with cancer
Boarding for Breast Cancer

Comments

Popular Posts